What NOT to Do with your Facebook Social Media Marketing CampaignTo get started, we suggest you enjoy a bit of comedy from every American's most enlightening co-workers at NBC's The Office. This clip is the perfect example of one of the most common social media mistakes: faking results to get real results. A surprising number of businesses and so-called social media experts wind up trying to trick the system with "fake" profiles, and "fake" social networks. Haven't we learned our lesson by now? You can't trick Google into thinking you have unique content when you don't so what makes you think you'd be able to trick an entire social media network?
That's not the only common mistake to avoid either.
Top 8 things you shouldn't do on social media:
1. Do Not try to "Fake" Results to get Real Results - The only way to get real results is by using quality posts, frequent interaction and appropriate advertising to develop an actual network of fans/followers.
2. Do Not Build Your Network Too Quickly - Take time to learn the ins and outs of the site, develop a game plan, institute tracking methods, etc. Going backwards to try to edit or fix important elements you glossed over the first time is far more annoying and time consuming.
3. Do Not Try and Sell People - You're here to develop online relationships. No one wants to hang out with the friend who invites you to lunch only to spring an Avon sales presentation on you after the drinks arrive. It's the same online. Provide helpful, useful content that your target group will enjoy and want to see.
4. Do Not Rely On One Application - Every social media site has its strengths and its weaknesses. Relying on one is very limiting.
5. Do Not Be Pushy - You're trying to make friends. Everyone knows that you can't actually force someone to be friends with you. You have to get them to like you and want to hang around.
6. Spam Social Sites - Social sites are kind of like semi-exclusive parties. If you're going to crash it you have to fit in and go with the flow. It's never cool to crash a party with the full intent of turning it into a sales meeting. It's very poor manners.
7. Do Not Forget to Thank People - Respond appropriately. Social media shouldn't be a monologue. It's a conversation. Actually, it's a lot of conversations with a lot of people all at the same time. If someone leaves a comment, comment back. If someone shares your info or a post, say thank you. This isn't real life, but it's a very real reflection of real life. The social niceties still matter.
8. Do Not Use Generic Marketing Techniques - Your company's game plan for Twitter isn't necessarily going to be effective for Flickr. What works on Pinterest would be completely out of place on LinkedIn. Be specific and tailor your social media marketing to suit the crowd and the venue.
Some people just don't like to be told what to do. Being monkeys, you might think we wouldn't know how to address this issue. But you should never forget that you aren't dealing with any old monkeys here ... we're genius monkeys and that makes a world of difference. We're not going to tell you what to do. We already tried that and you're obviously one of those special people who just never let go of your inner teenage rebel. Put simply, you just can't seem to make yourself follow basic instruction for the sake of instruction alone. You have to know it, understand it, believe it and make it yours.
In the world of social media, there's a lot to know. And that massive amount of information is ever changing. We could sign you up for classes, but we don't have time to teach them so you'd end up learning out dated facts and figures from regular old monkeys. You don't want that.
Instead, we'll skip the offensive instructions that make you act like a teenager out to get Daddy's attention. We're going with our gut here (based on genius observations, of course) and we think this will solve your problems. We've pointed out what you shouldn't do. There are so many other things that you CAN do and those decisions are in your court.
Of course, if you'd like some advice on which of those viable social marketing goals and online marketing techniques will best suit your overall company purpose, we're here for you. We'll even die a blue streak in our fur if that makes you feel more comfortable taking our advice.
Optimize Online TV
Real Reviews Real Fast
National & Local Radio Advertising
App Building for Mobile Devices
Video Creation & Optimization
Fail Fast Market Research
Site Speed Optimization
Printing and Gift Cards
Optimize Online Image Ads